Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Last week I ordered a My Book Studio 1TB external hard drive and it came in today. So of course I had to spend time today updating the firmware, formatting it just how I want it, and setting it up.

Right now I have it partitioned into two halves, one for backup and one for archiving, but while driving to my day job today I decided to change that up slightly. The way I set it up this morning there is no backup of the archive. If the drive in the My Book fails, then we loose our entire archive. (The "archive" being a folder with every PPT and audio file that we have ever used."

So I am going to change it so that one partition of the My Book is backup (using Time Machine), and the other is video storage for the many gigabytes of video that I am recording. (Compressed, each Sunday is about 10 GB.) This will allow there to be two copies of the archive folder (one on the iMac, one on the external drive). This doesn't provide a backup for our videos, but they don't need a backup as they are just a "novelty", they are just to have in case someone wants a DVD.

The other good part of this system: Once a year I buy a 500 GB hard drive (cheap these days) and dump the previous year's videos onto it. That hard drive now gets stuck in a back closet somewhere, and we never have to loose any of our information.

OK, I know at this point I am rambling, but can you blame me? It is 3 AM, and I need to get to sleep. I hope you enjoyed reading about the new hard drive as much as I enjoyed typing this post.

=: >

Matthew

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.